Friday, January 1, 2010

Holiday transportation

As in New Years Day tradition, I took in the Rose Bowl Game. As we do not have a television, let alone cable, I trekked into Quito to watch Ohio State take on Oregon in Big Ten-Pac-10 battle that I've watched since I was 7 with my dad, so while I've seen little football this year, and I don't particularly like Ohio State, not watching wasn't much of an option.

I should mention that bus service on a holiday is not what is normally is- fewer buses running fewer routes, which can make for some interesting traveling. From the time I left my house, it took over an hour to get into the bus terminal, causing me to miss much of the first quarter. It was fortunate that traffic was light once I switched buses and got to the bar, so that minimized the that amount of game-time slipping away. I did, however, spot a great (?) bit of America on the Ecovia- a Jeff Gordon hat.

Once the game finished, I paid my tab and quickly made it back to the Ecovia, catching of of the last two of the night (at 8:20, how late of me!). We pulled into the bus terminal and exited through the emergency door, rather than the usual exits (all the other buses were parked in way of the platforms) and I caught the final bus from the terminal back to the valley. This would have been great if the bus then left; however, we waited 15 minutes for others to find their way to the bus before we left.

Moral of the story: if it's a holiday or the day after (I had similar problems last week on Dec. 26), don't rely on buses to go where you want them or to get you there quickly, it's just not in the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment